Friday, May 21, 2010

twiGs Style File: Anne Albert of Martin











t- Before moving to the Berkshires, your NYC store, Martin, in the East Village was a real success. The New York Times wrote that you had "a cult-like customer base which included Sarah Jessica Parker, Sofia Coppola and scores of other stylish New Yorkers." Why did you close up shop and move?
A- It was basically a lifestyle decision. I knew I could come back to it if I was close enough to the city.
t- And you did come back to it. You re-launched Martin in Fall '08. What are your design influences?

AA-I like to take a basic and give it a modern or interesting twist. Take a basic tee and make it in an unexpected fabric or put a pleat in an unexpected place.

t- What is the best fashion advice you ever got?

AA-It's more of an observation over time. I like when things aren't so put together - like the french term "jolie-laide" or unconventionally pretty. Like pairing old jeans with a tailored jacket. Diana Vreeland said "too much good taste can be boring."

t-Describe your personal style.

AA-Simple and comfortable with a touch of something chic. A liitle punk, hippie, classic.
t- Any style icons?
AA-I loved the way Bob Dylan looked in the 60's and 70's. He always had a cool downtown style but it was very classic too.
t-Biggest fashion mistake women make?
AA- Wearing clothes that don't fit.
t-Biggest fashion splurge?

AA- A coat from my favorite designer Dries van Noten.

t-White jeans after Labor Day?

AA- Definitely. White jeans are so chic.
t-Jeans: baggy or skinny?
AA- Both!

t-Complete these sentences:

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing...
a sweat suit.
In high school I wore...
MC Hammer pants, high tops and red lipstick.

I feel best wearing...
skinny jeans, a tee shirt and heels.

t-Dress to impress...who?
AA- Myself. I dress to feel a certain way.


No comments:

Post a Comment